Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Jeff Gomez' Keynote at Storyworld 2011 - Inspiring! TY Simon Pulman on Transmythology.com

Excerpt from the full transcript - well worth reading the whole

"...In essence I was writing them into the mythology.

This is what is possible now on a colossal scale, on a global level. What I created was the Land of Corondor, a fantasy world, and I would tour these friends of mine, then later my college classmates, through this world. I made it feel real and relevant and I allowed them to explore every nook and cranny of it. There would be a dozen or more people sitting around the table playing roles like fighters and wizards and elves and participating in this narrative.

It became a kind of communal narrative that was actually shared by multiple groups because it had become so popular. That made me a tiny bit popular, at least among the nerd elite at college. I ran games every other day so there would be two or more entirely separate groups of players who were exploring different parts of this fantasy world. There would be dozens of separate plot threads, and then there would be that big epic story line (usually right before finals) where all of the groups met one another and clashed, and then had to band together against a common enemy…and it was amazing! Climactic battles, old rivalries settled, romances meeting tragic ends – it was really cool..."

Posted via email from Siobhan O'Flynn's 1001 Tales

No comments: