Search This Blog

Monday, October 3, 2011

Nice Post! Future of Storytelling Expert Series: a Conversation with Transmedia Creator Andrea Phillips | Latitude Research°

Recently, Latitude (in collaboration with Itizen) launched an innovation study on The Future of Storytelling. As part of this initiative, we’re conducting a series of interviews with thought leaders and industry experts who are helping to shape the future of storytelling. Every week for the next several weeks, Latitude will share its conversation with a different influential individual.

This week’s spotlight on Andrea Phillips:

Andrea Phillips is a transmedia writer and game designer and author. Her work includes a variety of educational and commercial projects, including America 2049, The Maester’s Path for HBO’s Game of Thrones, Routes Game, Perplex City, The 2012 Experience for Sony Pictures, Cathy’s Key, and True Blood. Her book, A Creator’s Guide to Transmedia Storytelling, will be published by McGraw-Hill in spring 2012.

Thanks for taking the time to speak with us, Andrea. You have a very impressive resume. Can you tell us a little about what you do?

I’ve been calling myself a transmedia creator lately, but what I call myself depends on who’s asking and what day it is. Sometimes I call myself a game designer; sometimes I call myself a writer. None of it really quite hits the mark. There just isn’t really a very good title for the specific set of things that I bring to a project.

How did you break into the “transmedia” space in the first place?

I came into the space originally long, long ago just as a writer, and then I moved into game design while working on an alternate reality game called Perplex City, which ended about four years ago.

I’ve been doing so much lately, too—just in the last year I’ve worked on The Maester’s Path, which was the HBO Game of Thrones project, a game with Thomas Dolby called The Floating City.

Recently, I also did a really interesting game called America 2049. It’s primarily a Facebook game with a transmedia component to pull out that world—to extend it a bit and make it feel a little richer.

We’ve been detecting some confusion in the popular press and even amongst industry folks about what the term “transmedia” actually means.

read the full interview on latd.com

Posted via email from Siobhan O'Flynn's 1001 Tales

No comments: