Search This Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

INTERVIEW | Guillermo Del Toro, Part I: Videogames, Transmedia and Here's His E-mail - Excerpt via indieWIRE

by Eric Kohn (August 22, 2011)

EK: "...You mentioned your affinity for transmedia. Last year, you launched a transmedia studio called Mirada. What have you been doing with it so far?

GDT: We’ve had a very interesting first few months. We’re a very curious company. We got involved in a huge multimedia installation celebration for IBM’s 100th anniversary called the THINK Exhibit [opening at Lincoln Center in September]. Using all the resources of our company, we created a special shooting rig that [Del Toro’s cinematographer] Guillermo Navaro designed called the Medusa. It’s a four-camera rig that shoots panoramic images that are almost life-size. It was fulfilling, exactly what we want to do. We did commercials, video clips, all the regular stuff, but we’re also developing a viral for [Del Toro’s next feature] “Pacific Rim,” and a teaser trailer for it internally to show the studio what it would look like.

It’s been a really interesting year. When we talk about transmedia, I think it’s incredibly important that one of the words that’s sacred for what we do at Mirada is “storytelling.” The word “transmedia” is very fancy, but what it means is that we’re at the edge of a new era for storytelling, one that I am convinced will be multiplatform. It will be a delivery-driven experience. You can have an audience participate in the way a story evolves. It’s really important as a storyteller to know how to write a novel or a comic. People think about them as if they need to be similar. They fixate on those similarities. For example, they say, “comic books are storyboards.” Absolutely not. They are not. I think it’s a mistake to talk like that. It negates everything that is unique about storytelling in that medium. I cannot qualify my work, but I know that I am a storyteller. I can only qualify the passion I bring to it, and that’s why I’m involved in transmedia...."

Posted via email from Siobhan O'Flynn's 1001 Tales

No comments: