Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

An Interview With Olafur Eliasson, On Crossing Between Art And Architecture | Co.Design

Media_httpwwwfastcode_ewfun

Excerpt:

"...Do you think that some architects could be described as artists?

No, I don’t.

Architects are much too sophisticated to be artists.

Why?

That is a question that should remain unanswered. But I don’t think architects are artists. I think architects are much too sophisticated to be artists, and they are trained in the great art of making compromises to keep the client happy. This I think, of course, is totally unfair to the architects, but I can assure that I have the highest respect for the art of actually succeeding -- to succeed under the conditions of which the architect has to work to create great architecture, with a client, with a city, with city regulations. I mean, that is really a challenge, an incredible challenge. I’m surprised to see that occasionally a rather nice building actually pops up somewhere. I’m totally surprised, because being an architect today is the worst thing you can possibly imagine to be...."

Posted via email from Siobhan O'Flynn's 1001 Tales

No comments: