Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Good Post: Transmedia, crossmedia, multimedia, plurimedia… What if we had to describe these notions to someone working in a completely different field | Transmedia Lab

Excerpt:

By Laurent Guerin • 29 Nov, 2010 • Catégorie: Tribune

"Transmedia, crossmedia, multimedia, plurimedia… What if we had to describe these notions to someone working in a completely different field. What if we had to break down this avant-guard mumbo jumbo to a notary or a 6-year-old child? Here’s the starting point proposed by Laurent Guérin (co-founder of citymoviz.tv and co-producer of Detective Avenue, who reviews the innovations of the last decade and the new behaviors they entail for 21st century spectators in this article.

The other evening, a notary friend that that I hadn’t seen in 10 years politely asked me what I’d been up to. “I create transmedia programs” I answered, after he’d shared a few of the latest divorce laws that had made the most impact in his field of specialty. “What’s the difference with multimedia?” he asked me. I admit I didn’t have the courage to explain to him that the word “multimedia” was a term inherited from the 80’s and 90’s, from the days of Minitel and CD-Roms, and which has already become obsolete despite its modern connotation; that we now used crossmedia or even, if you’re on board with Henry Jenkins work and Jeff Gomez Productions, the term’s evangelists: “transmedia”.

I summarized the difference between “crossmedia”, inherited from advertizing and the press (same content/message on different media) and “transmedia” (different content for different media, each contributing to the creation of a unique final product) with two simple sentences:

Crossmedia is 100 pieces of a single piece puzzle.

Transmedia is 100 different pieces forming a unique puzzle.

But instead of explaining the word, its origin and its definition with power point slides, I preferred telling him about the context, and launched into a long pedagogic discussion – or so I hoped – of which I will share a few excerpts..."

Posted via email from Siobhan O'Flynn's 1001 Tales

No comments: