Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Interview: Yannis Mallat, CEO, Ubisoft Montreal. Part two... |

you seem to be interested in the idea of games that stir emotions – are we seeing that at the moment, and if not why not?
I think that even my own thoughts on that are evolving. Emotion is a practical word because everyone understands it. But I think what we really mean by that is making sure we have content that touches people and by doing that we may want to explore the specific ways that the videogame has as a medium. I think we can touch people through cinematic content in a game, pretty much as movies do. But I really think we can touch people more deeply when interactivity is involved. I think that when you make sure that the player's actions lead to emotional impact, then it is felt in a bigger way, and I think that this is key to our creative process. It's difficult to master but if you make sure that your game design philosophy is centred around that, you will have more profound impact on gamers on all sides of things and definitely this is what we are aiming for.

Part 2 of the Guardian UK interview with Yannis Mallat CEO of Ubisoft Montreal. Orig. published Oct. 1 & 2, 2009.

Nice to see a discussion of the emotional potential of interactivity in a game context...would love to hear more!

Posted via web from Siobhan O'Flynn's 1001 Tales

No comments: